Saturday, November 17, 2012

Traveling Through 3 Ecosystems in 12 Days


I left my forest of solitude for 12 days to attend a couple of meetings and hang out with friends I haven't seen in almost a year, but only for about a day (or an hour) each. In this 12 day period I went from mould-your-hanging-clothes humid weather with temperatures rarely dropping below 30 degrees Celsius to desert-like dryness and temperatures reaching 20 degrees below zero…yes, this is a 50 degree difference from what I am used to. I traveled through the tail end of Hurricane Sandy and full force through a snow storm in Edmonton, with the ladder delaying my flight to Victoria (how ironic!). I saw a couple of seals and a river otter playing in the ocean by the beach on "the island" where fall colours fell off trees. I flew back to the ice box that same night to dance like a maniac to Delhi 2 Dublin and party until the next morning -less than 24 hours before I hopped on a flight back to Costa Rica. Needless to say, I was a little tired, unsure of the time zone, temperature or what day it was upon my return. But there is no doubt I am (especially my water-deprived skin) happy to be back in this noisy, but vehicle- and city light -less jungle. Unfortunately, I am here only for another month, then I do not know when I will be back. Could be a few years. I have never known a place so well, it will be extremely difficult to leave. Having made contact with the "real world" if only briefly, but recently, reminded me that very few people will understand the loss and pain I will undertake come my departure. I will do my best to soak up every last minute...while I try to write a thesis at the same time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment