Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Searching for Monkeys in the Night


October 1st, 2012:
On my walk home after not finding any monkeys, I took my time, admired the fireflies (or luciƩrnagas, decided to name the bat that lives outside my room this), peered through the forest canopy with my new Maglite XL50 looking for critters and listening to multiple species of frogs sing loudly. Once I finally made it to the campground I spotted a large South American (I think) opossum. I took a few more steps and the sky full of brilliant stars caught my eye! I hadn't seen a clear night like this in a while. This really surprised me as the last few days had been more or less overcast all day and night even when not raining. This was a truly starry-night. As I kept walking along the main road, I was about to pass Janzen's yard when I heard capuchin alarm calls! What luck! I've been looking for this group of monkeys for two weeks. Little buggers are quite unpredictable these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment